What I Did with Hillsong Young & Free's HEART OF GOD



I found myself in between flights with  6 hours to kill one time in Manila so I decided to meet up with a friend. I knew now that commuting in Manila was a bit of a challenge and that it would take a while for my friend to arrive so I was armed with a good playlist, a journal, my bible and a book.

I was just going through my daily devotions at a Jollibee across NAIA Terminal 4 when Hillsong Young  & Free's Heart of God played on Spotify. When their album was released a few days before that, it was one of the songs that got stuck in my head.

My faith journey this 2018 has taken some pretty exciting turns and one of the things that I have been trying to learn is the Heart of God. One sermon that got stuck in my head actually was about Mary and Martha wherein the conclusion that the minister (well, my dad actually) gave was this: "We can only be effective in doing things for God, if we know the Heart of God." There was nothing wrong with what Martha was doing, serving Jesus was a good thing. But she was also missing out on what Mary was doing and that was learning the Heart of God.

And that is one of the reasons why I got excited over this song from Hillsong Young  Free's new album.



So going back to Jollibee. I was at my seat, listening to the song when I suddenly had the urge to dissect the song and search for the scripture references used for the lyrics. I did not want to Google the backstory of the song as it felt like cheating (also I really had a lot of time in my hands) and I felt that it would be a good exercise also for me. I was quite pleased with the result so I am sharing this here now. Placed the scripture references which I felt backed up the lyrics beside the lines. Each verse is clickable so you may view the scripture via Biblegateway.com.

Please note that these scripture references are not the official ones that Hillsong Young & Free based them on, they may or may not be. These are simply the bible verses that, in my two hours of waiting, I found to be the ones that supported the song. If you read all of them, you'll also be closer to knowing the Heart of God. Enjoy! :)


Heart Of God
Here I stand before you now Hebrews 4:16 Jude 1:24
As honestly as I know how
Broken by the days gone by
Spirit help me soul to rise

I try my best but still I fail Romans 7:18-25
And even then you're with me there Deutoronomy 31:6Isaiah 40:29-31
You remind me I'm a child of God 1 John 3:1 Romans 8:16
Regardless of the things I've done Romans 5:8
My hope is found in perfect love Romans 5:8 

Your mercy triumphs over judgment John 3:17 John 8:1-11
Love wider than horizons Ephesians 3:18 Psalm 108:4
Stronger than all sin Romans 8:38
Lord Your kindness Romans 2:4
Leads us to repentance Romans 2:4
To the heart of God 1 John 4:8
Your heart oh God
Is all I want

They say that it's impossible John 10:10
To ever save a sinner's soul
But my God says to the prodigal Luke 15:11-32, Parable of the Prodigal Son
My beloved one, you're welcome home

All to Jesus I surrender
All to him I freely give
I will ever love and trust him Proverbs 3:5-6
In his presence daily live Psalm 27:4

The notes I had on the song when I was in Jollibee. 

Our human minds and hearts will never FULLY comprehend the Heart of God for His thoughts will be infinitely higher than our thoughts and His ways higher than ours. But based on the song and the verses that we chanced upon through the meditation of the song, we can say these regarding the heart of God:

1. Knowing the heart of God starts with approaching Him. Many people are hesitant because they feel that they are not worthy. But Hebrews 4:16 says "Come boldly into the throne room of Grace."

2. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Which is why God sent His only son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. Through this act, He identified us as His children. Identify yourself as His child.

3. Mercy over Judgement. Everybody knows John 3:16, but John 3:17 is as beautiful. For Christ was sent not to condemn the world  BUT THAT THE WORLD WOULD BE SAVED THROUGH HIM. Always.

4. God's love knows no bounds. Psalms 108:4 says that His unfailing love is higher than the heavens! Read Romans 8:38 eight times and get it to your head. His love is so great that nothing in all of creation can ever separate us from His love. NOTHING.

5. The enemy will tell you otherwise. "For the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy." Do not believe lies that say "You are not loved. You do not deserve grace. You should just stay away from the Church. There is no point in drawing close to Him, He is not paying attention." The story of the Prodigal Son is the perfect portrayal of how our Father's love is unconditional. It is a love that heals and restores. It is a love that welcomes you home.

6. Accept His love. Accept His kindness. Allow His love and His kindness to prod your heart to repent. Let it be your motivation to draw near to Him. Not judgement. Not fear. While it is true that "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom," LOVE reigns above all. It is His great love that has brought me to my knees several times crying "I am unworthy. I do not deserve this. But thank You. Thank You. Please help me become who You want me to be." Let love be that which motivates you.

7. God is Love. This is the core of His heart. This is the message that we should plant in our hearts. The message that we should share.

I pray that you and I will continue to seek His heart, know His heart, and learn His heart. In the process, let us allow that to change us, mold us, make us like Him. 

I know that my title says "What I Did with Hillsong Yong & Free's HEART OF GOD." I guess it should have been "What Hillsong Young & Free's HEART OF GOD Did To Me."

To God be the glory. 

Comments

Popular Posts