Dad's 1st Heavenly Homecoming Tributes

Hi. I've procrastinated on this post for three months already. I just really wanted to compile all of my dad's Heavenly Homecoming Tributes in one post. 

1. CCSM




2. ON FIRE YOUTH  VISAYAS 















3.  YOUTHNITED 




5+ Ways We Remember +Abp. Ricardo Alcaraz

By Manna Alcaraz, On Fire Youth Visayas - Kalibo



He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it.  - Philippians 1:6


When +Abp. Ricardo Alcaraz went to be with the Lord on September 12, 2020, many of us were shocked and heartbroken. “Too soon,” we said. 


A year before he went with the Lord, +Abp. Ricardo Alcaraz led the historic passing on of the baton to the youth. This also sparked the move for the creation of Youthnited CEC Ph - a name that was approved on his last earthly birthday at that. 


In his last year as well, he wasted no time in strengthening the faith of the  Body of Christ as the pandemic fell upon us. He was able to do two online teaching series, Psalm 91: God’s Promises of Protection, and Faith For Our Times. He also did a teaching on Going to Court Against COVID 19 and gave us a prayer called Restraining Order against the Corona Virus which many of the youth still pray today. 


He was a man who did not waste his time here on earth. 38 out of the 63 years he lived was spent serving the Lord and spreading the gospel. 


For us, we can continue to say that he was gone too soon. But we can also remember, that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. His work on earth is done, but his legacy of faith lives on. 


Join us today in remembering a great man. Here are 5+ Ways we remember +Abp. Ricardo Alcaraz.


#FiveThingsFriday

#WeAreYouthnited

#YouthnitedCECPH




Bp. Ariel Santos, Bishop of Diocese of NCR & Northern Luzon


1. When did you meet and what were the circumstances you were in when you met? (You may also add how your relationship evolved)


I don’t know exactly when I met Abp. Ricardo. I had known him before he knew me. I knew he was the pastor of the church in Kalibo back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. Then he became the head of the department in charge of the local parishes in the Philippines. But I guess we really just started to know each other after he was consecrated and he became part of the House of Bishops of Asia. I was a priest then and would sit in their meetings.


Our friendship started when I myself became bishop (auxiliary at first) and especially when I was put in charge of the Diocese of Metro Manila and Northern Luzon. It was a time when the unity of the leaders of the territory was being tested. Abp. Dick told me he chose to trust me. I tried very hard not to betray that trust. There followed a challenging time as well in my diocese and he didn’t just give me his trust but his all-out support as well. I don’t know if I could have survived that time as a leader without his guidance, encouragement, and help. Eventually, he became Primate, but he didn’t stop being a constant counselor and adviser to me.


2. Can you give us one memorable story you have with him?


We were in Vietnam. After dinner on the first day of our trip, I had indigestion. I was sick and went to the bathroom several times during the night. He took care of me. We had a seminar scheduled for the next three days. He had to take both his sessions and mine on the first day because I was too ill to go.


3. What is the one thing you learned from him?


Loyalty. His commitment was rock solid. He would never turn his back on the people he vowed to be loyal to. Abp. Dick was a man of principle. He would never compromise no matter the cost. He was no respecter of persons, either. I learned these things from him not from the pulpit or in a classroom but as I witnessed his life and ministry and his personal impact on my own life and ministry. He stood with me through all my trying times.





Bp. Paulino Villavicencio, Bishop of the Diocese of Southern Luzon  


1. When did you meet and what were the circumstances you were in when you met? (You may also add how your relationship evolved)


I first met Archbishop Dick when he was still Bro. Dick then at CLF – Magallanes theatre. He became my prayer partner in the Men’s overnight intercession every Tuesday in 1985. Then in March of 1987, he was sent to Kalibo for pastorate while I was sent to San Pablo September of the same year. He then became the Pastoral Department National Head. Then in the fifth year of my pastorate, I encountered a severe trial which involved both my family and I. Thank God, Pastor Dick came to my aid. From then on, our relationship as pastors began to develop into friendship. 


2. Can you give us one memorable story you have with him?


That friendship blossomed, further when we both became bishops and traveled together (with Bp. Jun) to the US during the first International Convocation in San Clemente, California. I remember when we went to a mall to look for a restaurant. It was so funny that every time we would ask for the price, he would always bring out his calculator to convert the price from dollars to pesos. So, we finally came to our senses. We can’t eat if we will always try to convert currencies. So, we decided to eat whatever the cost may be, after all, God is our provider.


That was just the beginning. We then had several opportunities to go to Europe, and had lots of moments of laughter. I remember the first time we were in Paris airport. We saw a sign similar to this saying, “Le service a van’tout”. We mispronounced it and after a while we broke into hard laughter (but the inscription means “the service is good”) 


With this and many more experiences with Archbishop Dick especially at the time he has spent with us in the Diocese of Southern Luzon. His untiring support to us is unfeigned. This is the reason why the whole diocese (clergy and parishioners alike) loved him so dearly. He was a father and a friend to all of us. That’s what he is to me: father, a big brother, and best friend.


3. What is the one thing you learned from him?


One important thing I have learned from him is living a life of faith and prayer as he had exemplified to me in many ways. As we commemorate his death anniversary, I would say, “Salute to a General, to a real Warrior, an Overcomer, my Kuya and my friend”. You will continually live in my heart and ministry. You will be a living inspiration to me, my family, and other ministries in CEC Southern Luzon.




Bp. Raymundo Abogatal, Bishop of the Diocese of Mindanao


1. When did you meet and what were the circumstances you were in when you met? (You may also add how your relationship evolved)


Primate and I met at Christian Life Fellowship i n Magallanes. We’re together in the Hospital Ministry and cleaning the  CRs of CLF. Our relationship evolved when we had our Saturday  Bible Study in our apartment in Cubao, Quezon City. Every Saturday, he came to our apartment to teach us  God’s word.  He even sponsored my training at CTC. Actually, he was my discipler especially in the subject of faith and when  I decided to go home here in Gigoog City, he continues to disciple me by sending books of  Kenneth  Hagin. 


2. Can you give us one memorable story you have with him?


Every time we have meetings in  Manila,  he was yet bishop in the Diocese of Visayas, we were always roommates...and he always sleeps late and I always sleep early. One evening, he was about to sleep and thought that I was asleep already. Then before sleeping, he said “Thank You, Jesus,” I  answered “You are welcome!” and he was so surprised who answered him. Then he realized it was me and we were laughing  and  he  told me, “I thought  you’re sound asleep already.” This is one incident that I really cannot forget. 😅😅😅


3. What is the one thing you learned from him?


The FAITH subject. I learned a lot from him about faith. That  is why I am a Faith person  because  he really discipled me on this. And when I became full time in the ministry, faith application helped me a lot in everything regarding my ministry in Gingoog. My  favorite verse, Mark 11:23-24 “For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall  not doubt in his heart, but shall believe  that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever  he  saith. Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them,” God says it, I believe it, that settles it.


Primate Ricardo Alcaraz, I  salute you...thank you for discipling me on faith. 


Thank you so much.




From His Priests on the Diocese of the Visayas 


Fr. Romie Jun Peñalosa 

Archbishop Ricardo and I met for the first time in 1990. I was a broken man when I first met him. He counseled me and brought me back on my feet again. He also took me into his home and he became family to me. He introduced me to the wonderful world of ministry, mentored me in serving the Lord. Through much difficulty, he taught me and guided me until I joined the Holy Orders. My friendship with him all these years has been the greatest treasure of my life.

I have a ton of stories about this great man of God that I would cherish all my life. One of which is when we went up the mountain, just the two us. He was going to give a seminar on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It was just after a storm and nobody expected us to come anyway because of the knee-deep mud that we had to contend with. We arrived to the amazement of everyone. What would usually take us two hours to traverse, we did in six. I had to pull out his shoes deep from the mud several times. It was funny and memorable for both of us. We continued to talk about this experience for many years.

 

Much of what I have learned about life, I have learned from Bishop Ricardo. One lesson I’ve learned from him that has carried me through difficult times in my life—is that no matter how bad things are around you and you just can’t do anything about it anymore. He said, “always realize, you are never helpless” and because of this, “ do your best in the worst situation” and of course God will take care of the rest. 

Fr. Erel Villanueva


We met in 1984 in the house of Auntie Dolly in Otis, Paco, Manila. I was staying in Auntie Dolly’s house while looking for a job as a seaman.At that time, Primate was frequently visiting Sis. Nemia in the house for he was courting her and they were also attending in the same church.


Our relationship started when he and Sister Nemia invited me to attend church fellowship with them. We were also in the same house at the time they got married until our ways parted. 


During our Charismatic days Primate Ricardo initiated a fellowship meeting with other Pastors here in Kalibo. The idea was for prayer, fellowship, and building unity among the leaders of the local Body of Christ. He was eventually elected as the Chairman. He brought me along every time there were meetings and activities. He really had a heart to help other churches. Once there was a pioneering church, he volunteered to help for the flooring to be cemented. He was always willing to let our church be the venue if there was a seminar for the local body and gave extra financial support to the event.


When we became liturgical everything changed. One by one, pastors no longer attended prayer meetings and lots of accusations were thrown against him and our church. So Primate decided to resign instead of letting the Pastors’ Fellowship to be disbanded because of him. At that time, we were alienated from the rest of the body here in Kalibo. Despite what happened, I never heard him saying negative things against them. He said that we should always forgive and pray for them and never stop reaching out to help them. One time one of the youth in those churches went into an accident. We visited them at the hospital and he gave financial help. A few years later, we were invited to attend the Jesus Reigns Celebration and our church went all out in supporting this event. He had a chance to meet again with other Pastors of the local body like nothing happened in the past. 


One thing I will never forget about him is this line: Don’t change the winning game and the winning game is God’s way.


Fr. Andy Illustre


We met in 1987, it was summer and Bishop Ricardo  showed up on the tennis court to play. He used to play tennis with our present Governor and I was one of the ball boys then. That’s where I first met Bishop Ricardo. He always walked in with that smile on his face and everyone asked who's that guy. I then found out that he was a pastor. I later knew that he was the pastor of the Army of the Lord. Working then with one of the Missionaries here in Kalibo, he said that I should have a church where I can be fed regularly every Sunday by the Word of God. So in 1988 I started attending Sunday service at the Army of the Lord but not on a regular basis. Only In 1989 of  December I decided to serve the Lord as a full time worker of the Christian Life Fellowship ( Army of the Lord ) to the present.   


I remember one time that he was driving the cimmaron then suddenly it stopped in the middle of the street and we had to push it. But still in his face, I can still see he was smiling. Yes it’s true that his smile is contagious, what more could I do but to push cimmaron with a smile.


I know that the Bishop Is a man of faith. He practices what he preaches. If there is one thing I learned from the Bishop is that if he has a need you will not find him dropping hints to anyone, he will just make it known to God alone. Because he believed that prayer works.


Fr. Heinrich Ruiz


I attended the Wednesday Fellowship at the Army of the Lord int the 90s. That was the first time I met with Pastor Dick. I faithfully attended the Wednesday Fellowship until I was called to serve as an acolyte on January 23, 1999 at the St. Michael's Church. Later, I was chosen to be one of the candidates for the Office of Deaconate and was ordained on September 21, 1999. Later, he ordained me in the Office of Priesthood on November 30, 2001at CCSM Capitol. That's how my relationship with the Bishop evolved. 


I will never forget the time I took leave of absence without the permission of the Bishop after the weddings of my children. I wrote him a letter if I and my family can still be welcomed in attending worship services at church, and he responded to the letter saying: I and my family were never banned from attending. Therefore, during that 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time, October 7, 2012, we made our comeback worship at the CCSM.


When the worship service was about to start, Bishop Ricardo went to where I was seated and said: I want to have a meeting with you this Tuesday after the Daily Office of Morning Prayer. When we're having our meeting at the lobby, I said my sorry to him and he said in Tagalog: Kalimutan na natin lahat ang mga nangyari, Padre. Umpisahan uli natin ang masayang pagsasama bilang mga lingkod ng Diyos!


I learned from him actions of faith, which I do live by today and share with my family. 


Fr. Charles Atayde


We met in 1984 at Manila Garden Makati at one of the casual meetings of Christian Life Fellowship and our friendship evolved as CLF was transferred to Magallanes Theater most especially in the ROHI ministry. I learned a lot from him as he was a good charismatic teacher minister. 


The bond continued as we were assigned to do Pastoral work in Cebu City as he headed the PDN Dept. His frequent visit  strengthened our relationship as Pastors. 


One of the memorable stories I had with him was when he accommodated me at his apartment for 19 days during my Deaconate training where we got to know each other personally as we exchanged testimonies and our walk with our Lord, strengthening the area of Faith & Prayer. The most memorable and endearing moment was when he was with me in Bacolod City for 2 days during the wake of my late Dad, he strengthened me emotionally and comforted me in my time of bereavement. Bp. Dick was always there for us and my family through thick and thin in good times and bad times. He would always say “ Hold on to the promises of God and be strong in the Lord because in due time you will reap a great harvest!”


One thing I learned from him most is…Faith in the Integrity and the power of God when we  obey Him.


Fr. Yuri Mascariñas

I first met him when he came to Cebu, when the Church of the Holy Family will be accepted to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. My relationship with him slowly developed as my Bishop when we were about to be ordained in the office of the diaconate. 


Later on, Primate would come to Cebu more often and our family ties would get stronger, especially with Sis. Nemia, as well as the children. 


I remember there was a moment of our conversation that I told him a story of how a gay person was converted to Christ. I shared to him the life of this young man who happened to be our errand boy. He was so blessed with the testimony, he even shared it in one of our convocations in Novaliches. 


One thing I've learned from our beloved Bishop is never compromise when it comes to the things of God. Give your best shot always. To God be the Glory!




From select Youth of Youthnited CEC Ph



Dcn. Sherwin Torres, NCR


I remember Bp. Dick was always supportive and caring for COTK especially during the trying times of our church wherein we transferred from one location to another.  He would travel from Kalibo to Manila frequently to show his love for us. His presence gave us assurance that we were not alone on this. He was truly a Primate who cared and loved the people… and the people loves him as well.


Francis Jorvina, NCR


Bishop Dick loved to make witty jokes and remarks to people. During the 2019 convocation, I missed an event because I overslept due to exhaustion, and he kept teasing me about it ever since. To this day, whenever I wake up, I wonder if I do so because he teases me in my sleep. 


Miss you po, Bishop. Pray for us.


Mark Ira, NCR


The Primate is the stability of our Church. His humbleness is my inspiration to continue serving. His voice as a sheperd is something I and the whole church will surely miss.



EJ Diaz, NCR


One of the memorable moments I had with Abp. Dick was whenever he visits COTK, I always had this opportunity to carry his bag or luggage, and then we would have short but meaningful talks as we walk to the Sacristy. For me, those moments were very precious because I knew that I was conversing with a man of God, learning from a faithful servant, and walking with a father whom I know has the heart for its people and the Lord. I will never forget those special talks that I had with Bp Dick; his genuine smile and laughter; his powerful teachings, and ultimately, the exemplary life of service that he led. I will always be grateful for his life.



Abigail Jorvina, NCR


Primate shared this way back 2013 pa during his homily sa Sheridan pa yun.


"Just as God’s grace is given to us all, so we must respond to His grace. Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."


JP Villavicencio, San Pablo


I can still remember one of Abp. Dick's last messages to the youth very clearly and it is still very alive to me as he is very alive in my heart. Here are some of it:


"The presence of problems does not nullify or make void the promises of God."

"With God, nothing is truly lost."


It's been a year since the Abp went on to be with the Lord and I will always remember how contagious his laugh is and how he never fails to enjoy his food. Thank you for everything, Ninong!



John Gabriel Flores, San Pablo


I'll always cherish the time when he always told jokes to me when we were with him. I also remember the time when he would tell me real life lessons of what is more to life even though I was still young back then. I will also treasure the moments when he hugs me after we eat our dinner at restaurants. Lastly, I will always keep deep within my heart his big and bright smile that will always cheer me up. I will truly miss you Primate Ricardo!


Naomi Militar, Aklan


Gina make nya palagi sila happy. Tapos ginaturuan nya sila magpray kung di sila marunong magpray, tapos naglalaro siya palagi kay Selah. Lagi nating gawin kung ano ginagawa nya, kasi gina spread nya ang gospel. So kelangan din natin  ispread yung gospel. 


Jeco Reposar, Aklan 


One of the best memories that I had with the primate is seeing him dancing in the altar when jolly songs of praise and worship are played. It gives me joy seeing him like that. He's like King David; he always delights in the presence of the Lord(by dancing and singing a song of praise). A pure worshipper and a man after God's own heart.


Lent Militar, Aklan


One thing that I will never forget is Primate's teachings about Faith. He is a Man of God that is full and rich in Faith. When he teaches about Faith, I can feel that it is very alive in his Life. Primate's teaching was and still will always be life changing, not just to me but to others and to the generations to come.


Faith Esto, Aklan 


"As we come to the conclusion of the Sunday worship, always remember the good news of the Gospel, how God was in Christ Jesus when He was reconciling the whole world unto Himself, not counting our tresspases against us. Always remember: God loves you, God has forgiven you, God is not mad at you, and God will never leave you nor forsake you."


Primate Alcaraz would end every Sunday service with this spiritual principle; an honest reminder that he utters with strong emphasis on every word. This exhortation is one that I’ve always listened well to and meditated on as I start my week, because somewhere within that period, I know I’d definitely need it. Believing that whatever life may bring, I know that I got the King of all kings on my side, always.


Gwyneth Mascarinas, Cebu 


If there’s one thing Bishop and I have in common, that’s our love for sweets/chocolates. I still remember when I was a kid back then, I shamelessly messaged Bishop to bring me a pasalubong (a piece of chocolate) because he was in the States at that time. When he came to Cebu, I was surprised when he gave me a bag full of chocolates. One thing I admire about his personality is his generosity and love for children. I miss Bishop and he will always be in my heart.



Joanna Rabaja, Cebu 


I was 14 years old then and it was our Church Anniversary in Cebu Northwinds Hotel. That time, I was struggling with something a lot, being a teen. When Primate was about to go home and leave, I ran after him outside, "Bishop..," He stopped and looked at me with his charming smirk, and I hugged him so tight then I felt comfort and relief.


Romeo Armando  Peñalosa, Antique 


They say that “Not all heroes wear capes”, Bishop Ricardo was one of those heroes. He would help and inspire people in every way he could. Bishop Ricardo was one of the most extraordinary people I have met. I have been through a lot with him, and I have grasped numerous points and knowledge in his words and teachings. But one thing that I have absorbed from him is his compassion towards the people around him and his passion in doing what he does.


Ricardo Thomas   Peñalosa, Antique 


Bishop Ricardo Alcaraz was one of the most influential persons in my life. I've learned countless amounts of wisdom and knowledge through his teachings, but the one thing that I will always remember about him is his emphasis on the importance of prayer.



Fr. Rex Manlantao, Gingoog


The thing that I would remember from Primate Dick is what he said to us youth here in Gingoog way back 2017:


"You are all called to this Church. God planted you here. Be fruitful in your Church."


John Abogatal, Gingoog


Whenever I see Primate or whenever he comes to visit us here in Mindanao and when he's the Celebrant I feel happy and joy. The way he teaches or the way he preach or the way he talks I couldn't stop listening to him but feel comfortable. Whenever he talks to me when I was a kid I always nodded and smile at him because I was too shy to respond or to talk back at him and now that I'm 27 years old I never got the chance to have that talk like a heart to heart conversation with him, even though he's gone he will always be in the hearts of the Abogatal's. I miss you and I love you Primate ❤️

















Comments

Popular Posts