The First Time I Heard His Still Small Voice




The first time I was 100% positive and conscious that I heard from God was in 2015 - I was 29 years old. 

(Okay, I'm pretty sure that God has been speaking to me way before that, and I may or may have not responded but I was never entirely conscious of it. )

My boss at that time had just resigned and I thought of leaving as well. I could not imagine myself being under another Communications Manager  (I was PR Officer then) so it was better if I also quit. I also had Faith Goals for 2015 which I just knew I couldn't achieve if I stayed at the hotel I was working in. Below were some of my Faith Goals that year and the reason why I thought I would not achieve them if I stayed at the hotel:

1. A Specific Salary Per Month (At that time, I was just earning half of my goal)
2. To attend the 2015 Youth Camp in Antique (Vacation leaves were frowned upon there that time, especially leaves that went beyond 3 days)
3. I wanted to have my first out-of-the-country trip. (With my current salary at that time and the leave situation, I just felt it would never happen if I did not resign.)

To my surprise, when my boss resigned, her position was offered to ME! It was a plot twist I did not expect - and although the idea of promotion was supposed to be a good thing, I was so conflicted. I knew the promotion would give me a raise though I was not sure if it was the same as my goal. And then I thought, "When I become manager, they will be stricter on my leaves. So I will never be able to go to the Youth Camp" - which was a major thing for me that year.

I was so conflicted that I asked for advice from my Youth Leader, Dcn. Yuri. He told me that I should ask God and He would surely give me a clear answer. Now I have heard this advice countless times before in different situations and problems but tbh, at that time - I could not connect to it. 

How do you ask God? How does He answer? I knew He talked to us, I knew I could ask Him, but I've never really experienced God explicitly and specifically telling me what to do and I NEEDED SOMETHING SPECIFIC.

He must have seen the puzzled look on my face so he gave me practical instructions on what to do. He told me to wake up at 2am, ask God my question, and stay silent until I get my answer. If I don't get my answer, then I should do it again the next day until I get my answer. He said 2am is a good time to listen to God because everything else was quiet. I was too desperate for an answer to complain about the time so I was eager to try it. 

The first night I did it, I had a hard time waking up. I was up at 2am, silent for 15 minutes,  nothing - then I went back to sleep. The second night, I woke up before my alarm. Asked God my question, spoke in tongues for a bit, stayed silent - again nothing. On my third night, I felt God's presence so strongly. Yet there was no answer. By the fourth night, I was up at 2am and easing into my usual "listening position," cross-legged on the bed, with my back against the wall. I was entering into His presence and I could feel Him there, and finally, for the first time in my life, I heard "IT!" I hear His still small voice! The still small voice was legit and specific. My answer came in seven beautiful words:

"But this is My gift to you."

Immediately after I heard those words I started bawling. I started crying and asking God for forgiveness, for not being quick to see His gift. For not being quick in giving Him thanks. 

The next day, with these words in my head, I talked to the head of our department and told her that I was willing to take the position, on the condition that she allowed me to attend the Youth Camp in Antique that summer. In my heart, I already knew she would say yes because I had the confidence that God's favor was already upon me. 

And indeed, she said yes!

By February, I had a salary increase. But it was still a few pesos away from my goal. I continued to be grateful. 

By April, I went to the Youth Camp in Antique, and it was one of the most anointed Youth Camps ever!
Hosted the Fellowship Night


Clearly I was lost in worship. Haha

My dad laid his hands on the youth and prayed for our callings


Girls of OFY who are now my co-laborers

By June, I passed my three-month assessment and got another salary increase! This time, it was about the same amount (with a few more pesos extra!)  as what I had written down on my Faith Goals!

By July, I was traveling for the first time outside of the country because my work sent me to a conference in China and I got to stay at a brand new, posh, 5-star hotel at that. (This was the first of many work travels that I would do with the hotel.)

My first time outside the country was in Chengdu, China


ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW GOD JUST PUT  EVERYTHING IN PLACE??

Imagine if I didn't listen. Imagine if I resigned. I probably won't be able to tick all those items from my Faith Goals that fast. And to think I thought that those would never happen if I did not resign! See how the devil tries to trick us into believing his lies? 

Listening to God paid off big time for me in 2015. That promotion opened so many doors for me and I am a better Spark Leader, Digital Ministry Leader, and Youth Leader in our church now because of that experience. 

Why am I sharing this? Because I feel a great urgency to tell my peers and anyone else who is willing to read this, that God speaks to us. In the next few blog posts, I intend to share testimonies and other helpful tips on how we can hear God better. 

Our world now is the noisiest that it has ever been, and with all the stimuli shoved into our faces every single day, hearing God gets harder and harder for many. But I'm here to tell you that it's not impossible. 

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." - John 10:27

I hope you catch my next few blog posts. If you want to be notified, let me know on messenger that you wish to be alerted when a post is out. 

Hope I see you on my next post!

Comments

Popular Posts